Wednesday 13 November 2019

A Sneak Peek Into The Legend of Arianna


Thank you for your overwhelming response to my last post! As a gesture of gratitude, I'd like to offer you a glimpse of the story - the entire first chapter - for your personal reading, which shall not be removed even after The Legend of Arianna is published.

So, here goes! If you like it, at the end of the chapter, I will provide the link to the next chapter, currently available for public reading on Wattpad (until the last few chapters are completed - and will continue to be, at least till the end of this year, so do not worry.)

Chapter One


Alyssa timidly crawled on to my bed. It was a stormy night. She had the greatest fear of thunderstorms. Ever since we were children, when lightning started to flash, I knew that I'd wake up the next morning to find her in my bed. It was laughable, almost. The Queen of Wilerna, First Woman of the South, frightened by the sound of thunder. If someone found out, someone outside of the close circle of guards and maids we could trust, she would be publicly shamed. She was nineteen years old, old enough to be a mother twice over. At least that is what our brother said. 
Tonight was no different from any other rainstorm. However, it was one that would change my life forever. That night, I felt her tug the sheets and snuggle into me. Half asleep, I enjoyed the added warmth and drifted back into a deep slumber. 
The dawn came too quickly. With it, came the news of a tragedy. Loud voices brought me to the edge of wake and sleep. 
"Queen Alyssa! Milady, it is time to prepare."
 A scream startled me out of my dreams. Hysteric maids and a footman, hearing the scream rushed in to find Alyssa's personal maid, Gertrude, lying on the floor, crumpled up in a heap. Still groggy from sleep, it took me time to realize that my sister hadn't woken up. 
"Alyssa," I said, and gently laid a hand on her back to shake her awake. 
She was ice. I didn't understand. 
"Alyssa!"
The healer, summoned in a hurry, gently pushed me out of the room. I was passed to another maid. 
"Your Majesty," she said, "Would you like some hot brew?"
Her words sank in. She called me 'your majesty', not 'your grace'. Alyssa was dead. I was the new Queen. I, the spare girl-child, second in line to the throne, was now Queen of all that lay south of the Shadowlands. 
"I need to see her."
The maid looked at me sympathetically. 
"Your Majesty, you need to prepare to be in mourning. Shall I fetch you your blue clothes?"
The mention of blue clothes sent me over the edge. It wasn't all that long since I had lost my father. It had been less than a year since I had worn them last, clothes the colour of the sky, the final resting place of the ancestors. Now Alyssa was one of them.
"I need to see my sister!"
"You cannot, your Majesty," said the maid, "They are preparing her for her rites."
I sank down in a chair. I never saw her again after that. The maid had her way and dressed me in mourning clothes, the hems of which had to be taken out. 
"You've grown. You'll do well."
I could not cry in front of her. No one in my family did, except when they were alone. behind closed doors. The last time someone had seen me cry, was when I was too young to spell my name. 
"Queen-in-waiting, Her Majesty, Lady Arianna!"
The guard announced me to the court of ministers. One by one, they sought my audience, and discussed their business with me. None of this was new to me. I had often sat in court at my sister's side. I had never thought I'd be here alone, without her. 
Our mother had died in childbirth. Alyssa had been only three years old. We had an infant queen on the throne. I remembered father telling me how he had to lift her into her seat. She sat there everyday, watching, learning, as our father conducted the business of the land. She had been forced to grow up soon. At the age of six, she handled simple cases, under the guidance of our father. At the age of nine, she managed almost everything as he sat and observed.
One of my earliest memories of them both was sitting on father's lap, playing with the lace on his sleeve as Alyssa talked to ministers. They loomed over her, large down pillows with covers made of brocaded lace and silk. Without exception they were old and paunchy. 
"Lady Arianna."
The next minister was waiting for my attention.
"You may come forward."
He bowed deep, and outstretched a hand holding a scroll.
"Your Majesty, this is the agriculture report for this harvest."
"Have you brought last years so that I may compare?"
"Yes, Milady."
He beckoned to one of his lackeys, who brought the scroll.
I surveyed them with foreboding. 
"This year's harvest is only a third of what we had the year before."
"The treasury will not suffer a lost, Milady, I shall have the peasants taxed promptly."
I threw down the scroll in anger. 
"They won't have enough food this year from the bad harvest, and you say tax them? With what money will they pay off the collectors? Are they supposed to starve?"
"Milady -"
"Are you looking to start off a peasant mutiny?"
"No, Milady, but -"
"You may be seated. Bring this back to me with a proper solution. Take no further step till I approve of it." I turned to the guard standing beside the throne, "Bring the next one!"
The ministers decided that they did not have any further business to conduct today. I rose from the throne with a gnawing feel in my belly, not for food, but for comfort. Did all Queens feel this lonely?
Food turned to ash in my mouth. I ate little, and did not taste what I did eat. For the first time in a long while, I was alone at the great table. There was a great deal of finery. The chandeliers had not been lit, in deference to Alyssa's passing, neither were the flowers changed, yet, the room was the picture of splendour.
There were crystal plates and jugs, gold utensils to eat with, silk towels, the tablecloth embroidered with silver thread, a great fire roaring in the hearth, and yet, none of it held a trace of warmth. 
All Queens begin their reign in grief. I knew that. That was one of the first lessons taught to us. No Queen could ascend the throne while her predecessor lived. My sister was dead. It was time to take my place at the head of the kingdom. The rites were scheduled for tomorrow evening, and my coronation, immediately afterwards. 
Midnight tomorrow, all of Wilerna would welcome its new Queen.  
***
***
If you enjoyed this excerpt of my upcoming novel, please help support it by leaving comments and stars on the chapters you liked. That can be done by creating a free reader account on Wattpad (a one minute job). Thank you, once again.
I hope you have a nice day!


No comments:

Post a Comment